Rentals and returns
Users can rent a bicycle using:
- SMS (messages) – works with any mobile phone
- Web app – works with smart phones
- QR code – works with any smart phone with QR code scanner installed
Any SMS gateway/API can be supported. SMS support can be also disabled.
- User requests bicycle rental via SMS command, web app or by scanning bicycle QR code
- User received code to unlock bicycle and new code to reset lock to
- User rides bicycle from one stand to the other
- User returns bicycle by locking it and confirming via SMS, web app or by scanning stand QR code
Older video (rentals using SMS):
- You have a few available bicycles (of any size or type)
- You buy the (four digit) code locks
- You install Open Source Bike Share (using our easy web install) – runs on a standard PHP/MySQL hosting
Any bicycles are OK – we recommend a mid-sized frame with the smaller wheels (e.g. 24″)
You can use any available stands in your area – we recommend any U type bicycle stand (alternatively, rails or lamp posts are usually good as well). Stands should be placed in well-lit public locations. Additionally, stands under private or public cameras are specially recommended (if anything happens, you have video evidence).
Locks (preventing theft)
Sturdy U-locks are recommended (with four digit code requirement). We recommend using only well-tested strong locks from known producers. The locks are most important theft-prevention feature (in addition to the well scouted stand location).
User receives a four digit code (via web app or SMS) to unlock the selected bicycle and then is required to change it to the new preselected code.
Payments (credit system)
Credit system works, users can be given coupons of selected value to redeem. Paypal/Bitcoin payments will be implemented later as well.